34 great ideas for running a security department
34 great ideas for running a security department
With the increasing terror and crime all around the world, all that people desire is security. Along with this vulnerability, the demand for more and more security departments and programs have surfaced up. And thus, this has led more employment in the field of security which have engaged many young minds to pursue this as their career. People from all around will need protection in their businesses, institutions, and organizations with their growing economy. This will increase the exigency of security programs and departments and will hype their careers.
So for all amongst you who have decided to run a security department, here we are bearing 34 great ideas to medicine your headache and provide you with some of the worthy stuff.
- The norm of listening others- In the course of life if one desires to become a service provider, then he must be an active listener. Listening is usually the only thing required to help someone. To escalate your communication skills, negotiation skills and to attract someone to your work, all you need is to be a good listener. It is said that a person who listens carefully, is not just listening, he is making up all the ideas and is giving life to others words.
- Don’t panic over your choices. If you can’t come up with the one princely solution that may lead to great success, then at least be confident enough to make short yet powerful ideas. Explain all your solutions and let the team and management decide the best option for your department amongst them.
- Get a good hand on accounting- To manage training process and programs; you need to be good at accounts to eradicate any sort of difficulties that may arise in the near future related to financial fraud or data theft.
- While you are advised to quit the use of hard vocabulary while writing a presentation, on the other hand, you can use numbers to prove how much you are in the market. Numbers attract people and find their attention every time.
- It’s easier to Bear this in mind, that no matter how much profit your organization is making, you need to maintain a track of the property or shares that you are losing. Losing property or money through stealing, leaking of data or other means can cause a disease in your system which will only increase its aftereffects and in turn, one may never find a way out of it.loose than to make-
- Negligence and shambolic behavior of your staff members can act as a virus for your company. If no outsiders, you will yourself be the one resulting in your security demise.
- Have opinions from all of your crew- It is best to take everyone’s opinion. A difference in ideas and thoughts may bring up something that one has never imagined. Maybe, the world was waiting for two innovative minds to come together to bring up a great blast. Have a healthy conversation, but never impose one’s decision on other human beings. Accept to everyone, but do as your soul says.
- Ensure to provide a safe workplace to all staff. A place with complete security from all sorts of thefts could lead to more trust in the inner circle.
- You are one, you are all- Be confident enough to tackle all the difficulties by yourself. Never compare yourselves with anybody. Be independent of yourself, you are one of your brands. CSOs are remembered of this every now and then.
- Separate people who handle a different situation in the workplace. The person who handles security must be different from the one who handles tech.
- Be careful before over socializing- Had a rough day and feel like broadcasting? Stop there and wait for a second. The world does not need to be told your angry side of the story. Your changing negative facets of personality must be only limited to you. Give some time; once you feel off the anger, you yourself will laugh at the comments popping up on your “moody posts”.
- Sharing knowledge leads to memorizing your points thoroughly and gives you a fair chance to rule others because of your canny and insightful mind.
- Find someone to work with you side by side- Share your ideas with someone who shares the same professional and emotional values as yours. One with the same temperament can give suggestions and can help in a way that you will easily understand.
- Talk with other departments and companies. Go through the laws. Get a full insight of what’s going on in and out. Maybe the fraudulent you are looking for is just one hand away.
- Working for the tribe, then walk with the tribe- When you are addressing a group of people belonging to a certain community, then make sure that you speak their language and give phrases that make them realize that you are genuinely doing something for them.
- Make a team of members of all age groups. Young minds and experienced minds make a great combination.
- Overpower your presentation with your words- Be on the front and take the lead of your presentation. Let your voice rule over the slides of the ppt. Let your content prove to be stronger than your written presentation.
- Try to think and make plans in long run. You may need a long-term plan for externalizing security.
- Make the best use of the limited budget that you are assigned with.
- Be careful with your passwords- Sanction protected screen savers and clear cache regularly.
- Be very specific when it comes to presentation. Be short and conceptual. Justify alignments and fonts.
- The clean desk test- A vulnerable desk is one in which all your papers and documents are prone to threats. Open briefcases and unlocked cabinets are also included in this. Ensure to keep your confidential safely.
- Get a combination of human resources and technologies. Relying on only one of them may cause trouble.
- Know your roots- Stick to your base of the project. Never get out of line just because of some ideas coming in the middle.
- Manage work roles of system and staff. Engage staff in a work that a small system can’t handle.
- Make the network invulnerable. Safeguard the network by protecting, detecting and reacting.
- Make reports annually and make assessments at the end of each year.
- When someone offers more security than others, then chose that option before someone else take it. This will save the money that event planners take to act as an intermediate.
- When you are faced with a situation like that of kidnapping, then never ever question about the hostage which might leave the kidnappers in awe that cops are involved.
- Locked drawers, protected doors, file cabinets, and paper shredders, all should be provided to the employees.
- Try to be a partner before a leader. Partners tend to share every single bit of information to each other.
- A proper announcement on the actions to be taken against fraudulent should be made. This ensures that no employee can ever engage in a fraud linked activity.
- Manage the network security risk.
- Keep it simple in a meeting. Don’t take the burden and never be under confident.
Remember, these ideas can only tell you about the positives and the negatives. It is you who have to implement them at the end of the day.